Today is your 33rd birthday. Three is a number I've always fancied, and I'm hoping being double-threes will work out for you in that way where you look back and think to yourself, Ah Self, weren't things grand when I was 33?
Kind of like when we look back on our college days and grin at each other, remembering how silly and young and naive we were, and how sort of neat it felt to not be sure where things would end up and how the world was our oyster. Not that we're old geezers now, or anything, just that some of that adventure might be over. But, my love, if there's one thing I've learned while living with you, it's that the adventure doesn't need to be over and nothing needs to be set in stone.
So, because it is your Birth Day, I've decided to start a new tradition, and that is going to be to give you a list of the things I love about you that corresponds to your age. So this year, it will be a list of 33 things. This list would be easier if you were turning, say, 6 years old, and if I keep this up, it could be a challenge when you turn, say, 80. Then again, I love a lot of things about you, so maybe it won't be that hard. I won't know 'til I try.
With that said, here we go (in no particular order):
33. When you do that thing you do with your lips when you're focusing very intently on something.
32. When you say sweet things in the morning.
31. When you fill up my car with gas for me, even though I haven't asked you to.
30. When you gush over a simple meal I've made.
29. Your clean soap smell.
28. When you laugh at my jokes.
27. When you encourage me to write "my book."
26. The way you invent alternative words for everyday things.
25. The way you triple check certain things.
24. The way you pay all the bills.
23. The fact that you let me hire Oscar.
22. The fact that you aren't a clean freak and don't seem to care that I'm not, either.
21. How you make me feel beautiful.
20. When you stand behind me and kiss my neck.
19. How you got me breakfast and flowers on Valentine's Day.
18. The way you encourage me to shop.
17. The fact that you're the life of the party.
16. Your generosity.
15. Your eyebrows.
14. When you email me funny things at work.
13. When you do your woman voice.
12. The way you volunteered to be the litterbox cleaner.
11. The way you are with children.
10. Your ambition.
9. The way you feel people out.
8. The way you take over the bed after I get up in the morning.
7. The way you like it when I'm mildly angry.
6. When you hold my hand.
5. The fact that you have hordes of friends.
4. Your adventurous palate.
3. The way you make me feel safe.
2. When you fall asleep on the couch.
1. Your reaction to "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."
Happy birthday, babe.
That is a really GREAT idea. I love it and will use it someday, seriously.ReplyDelete