Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'll fly away, oh glory...

These days online newspapers allow any schmuck to comment on any story, and you'd better believe that most of the people who are taking the time to comment are pretty much morons. I first started reading reader comments several months ago, after I read a story about a homeless man who was murdered in my neighborhood. One neighbor's comment was extremely insulting -- he negated the importance of the man's murder and felt traffic on his street was of more importance and should be reported on first. Nowadays I can't even read these idiots' comments because I just find it frustrating. But occassionally there'll be an odd little story and I'll become curious as to what the reader comments say. Today, I read a story about a macaw that flew away from its owners and was found 80 miles from home. Here are the reader comments:

Take care of your macaw and your macaw will take care of you

Posted 3/18/2008 10:50:21 AM

Anyone seen my ex-wife?

Posted 3/18/2008 11:08:39 AM

I lost a mini macaw over five years ago. It only takes a second if they are not clipped. I have my grey parrot clipped and had an ID chip implanted. Hopefully, she will never get lost, but if something should happen, chances of return increase with the chip. Nice that these folks are reunited with their 'baby'.

Posted 3/18/2008 11:13:57 AM

well that's a nice story. A good break from Iraq, the tedious democratic nomination race and the sagging economy

Posted 3/18/2008 11:31:23 AM

Macaw. The other white meat.

Posted 3/18/2008 12:04:48 PM

What about what the bird wants? Obviously the bird doesn't want to be holed up in a dinky cage to be gawked at by a little boy and given the title "pet". I'm sure the bird loves the indoor enviroment they were forced upon rather then living free in the rainforest.

Posted 3/18/2008 12:37:55 PM

Macaw fried rice anyone?

Posted 3/18/2008 12:51:45 PM

2 comments:

1. I, too, have recently begun reading the comments from stories and have been horrified by what I read. I'm not sure if it is the anonymity that makes them write such horrid things or if this is how they think, talk on a regular basis. It makes me think differently about those around me when I am stuck in traffic or in places with lots of people. I can't help but wonder what the person next to me is thinking.

ReplyDelete
  2. I think this illustrates my point that birds are better off free. Cats and Dogs seem to like living where they do even if it's just for food. Birds on the other hand were meant to fly, and not sit in a cage all day. Some animals are just better off not being pets.

ReplyDelete